Life on Mars may be Impossible: This Puts Space Missions in Trouble

0
142

The number of space missions carried till date on the red planet has touched the sky. But, the saddest part is that all these space missions will be of no use as scientists have claimed it’s impossible to have the existence of life on Mars. Earlier, it was found that Mars had a chilly environment having water on its surface along with the carbon compounds.

But, according to the recent study conducted, scientists found the traces of perchlorates element in the extraterrestrial soil of the Mars. It is a toxic element containing a high volume of chlorine that has the ability to extinguish the microbial life in presence of ultraviolet rays on the red planet. Every other bacterium that might have had their existence is destroyed today.

Perchlorates were detected long back when researchers launched Viking 1, Viking 2 and the Curiosity spacecraft to space. Perchlorates in actual is a source of survival for the bacteria but in presence of UV light, it can be a destructor. To better understand this scenario, the researchers conducted a laboratory experiment where they designed a Mars-like environment and observed the effect of bacteria Bacillus subtilis when they come in contact with magnesium perchlorate.

They found the results according to the guess they made. It killed the bacteria 10 times faster. Initially, they kept the temperature at 77° F. At this temperature, the bacteria deceased at a faster rate. Later, they decreased the temperature to 39° F. At this temperature, the population of the bacteria decreased 10 times.

Still, one thing remains unanswered that to what depth the UV rays penetrate killing the bacteria. Hence, we have to go deeper into the core to solve this mystery. This element could be toxic to humans; hence the Martian surface could be harmful to human as well as vegetative cells.

Bacteria’s life is going to come to an end in either case. Because the warmer environment will enhance perchlorate to destroy them whereas the cooler environment will freeze up the bacteria resulting in their deaths.

LEAVE A REPLY